Background & Experience
I've always been fascinated by human behavior. My background
includes a B.A. and M.A. in psychology and extensive corporate
experience in technical, customer support and management
Since forming my training and consulting business in 1984, I've delivered seminars
and presentations to more than 100,000 people internationally.
My services, books and newsletters have helped organizations and
groups improve customer satisfaction, manage change, strengthen teamwork,
and improve communication and presentation skills.
I'm the author of several books and ebooks, including:
In addition, I published three previous books for technical professionals and more than 600 articles, including these articles and these and these.
- Presentation Skills for Technical Professionals: Achieving Excellence (my newest book), which helps you significantly improve your presentation competence and confidence.
- Changing How You Manage and Communicate Change: Focusing on the Human Side of Change, which explains how to reduce the duration and intensity of the turbulence associated with change, while treating people in a caring and respectful manner.
- Communication Gaps and How to Close Them, which
provides strategies and guidelines for improved communication in such contexts as building strong relationships, delivering superior service, fostering effective teamwork, and managing change.
- Managing Expectations: Working With People Who Want More, Better, Faster, Sooner, NOW!, which offers a serious, lighthearted look (yes, both!) at policies and practices for successfully managing expectations in the workplace.
- How to Establish Service Level Agreements, a handbook based on more than a decade of experience providing SLA consulting and seminars internationally and which is designed to
help you avoid the flaws and failures so many organizations have experienced.
- How to Survive, Excel and Advance as an Introvert, which guides, supports, and encourages you in achieving success in an extraverted world.
- 40 Frequent Feedback-Gathering Flaws and How to Fix Them, which identifies some of the most common (and serious) flaws in gathering customer feedback and explains how to avoid them.
I'm also the author of Perceptions & Realities, a
delightfully illustrated newsletter that offers ideas and advice on how to deliver superior service,
strengthen relationships, improve communication, and much more. You're welcome to
download these newsletters and pass them around.
I'm a member of the National Speakers Association, and for
three years was editor of NSA's newsletter for international
My husband, Howard, and I greatly enjoy downhill skiing. We
have taken numerous trips to the Rockies and the Alps, and enjoy
helping friends and colleagues plan ski trips to faraway
Randolph, Mass., USA
Copyright © 2014 Karten Associates. All rights reserved.